Support & Advice
Support when you need it
Parenting your neurodivergent or SEND child or young person can be challenging. It’s not meant to be done alone. You deserve and need support in order to fulfill your role and parental responsibilities, and stay calm in the process.
At SEND Family Connections, we aim to support you emotionally and bring practical solutions for your unique situation.
By shining a light on childrens’ social emotional mental health needs, their behaviour and communication, we put the pieces together and make sense of your situation. We support you in your parenting & your child or young person in their development, mental health and well-being.
We want your child or young person to feel safe, connected and confident. We want you all to enjoy family life together!
Our Consultancy Approach is based on a set of core beliefs:
- You know your child best
- Children learn best from their primary caretakers
- Children learn best when they feel safe and connected
- Parents/Carers are best placed to teach children in the context of the relationship and naturally in daily activities
So rather than work directly with your child, we support you in fine-tuning your approach and with practical strategies to address your specific challenges at home or school. Getting them ready to learn. Reducing their anxieties and frustrations. Boosting their confidence. Being consistent in your parenting.
This is a natural, effective and sustainable approach which will last a life-time.
Pathway options: support or assessment
Flexibility is important to everyone. We want to meet you where you are at and help you get to where you want to be. Depending on your priorities and needs you may choose any of the following options to access our services:
- Start with support
- This may or may not lead to an assessment
- Start with an assessment
- This may or may not lead to support
All our support is online during the covid-19 pandemic
Accessing our recommendations
We use MyTherapyTracker®, a unique cloud-based electronic client record system. This system allows us to keep our clinical records in compliance with HCPC guidelines and GDPR. Each of our clients has an individual record and a login to view notes, reports, targets and utilise the two-way media upload for sharing files.
So at the end of a session, we will send you our notes on MTT with any recommendations and resources for you to access at any time.
Conditions we cover
We welcome referrals for the following reasons
We support families with children & young people with SEND and neurodivergent conditions which relates to their communication and social emotional mental health, including autistic spectrum conditions, developmental conditions, social learning conditions, and communication disorders
SEND Family Connections supports families with children & young people with a variety of diagnoses and neurodivergent conditions NDC:
- Developmental Language Disorder DLD
- Speech Language and Communication Needs SLCN
- Social Communication Disorder/ ‘Social Learning’
- Selective Mutism SM
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder/Conditions ASD/ ASC
- Pathological Demand Avoidance PDA
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity /Attention Deficit Disorder ADHD/ADD
- Anxiety Disorders
- Tourette Syndrome TS
- Sensory Processing Disorder SPD
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder OCD
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder ODD
- Highly Sensitive HS
- Developmental Trauma
SEND Family Connections supports families with children & young people with a variety of presentations:
- understanding & expressing spoken language
- functional use of language
- mental health issues
- aggression/ anxiety / fears / phobias
- clingy / obsessions / fixations
- frustration/ temper tantrums/ meltdowns / panic
- highly reactive/ sensitive
- social challenges and isolation
- attachment difficulties associated with Looked After Children LAC
- sibling rivalry
- bedtime/ sleep issues
- eating issues
- bullying issues
- constipation / bed wetting related to anxiety
- homework issues
- need for control/ lack of cooperation/ defiance
- poor self-regulation
- school attendance and separation issues
- under-achieving at school
- not respecting parental limits including use of social media
- co-parenting with an ex-partner
- breakdown of family dynamics/ power struggles
- parental overwhelm/ loss of leadership
The best way to find out if what we offer is suitable for your specific situation is to contact us for a free initial consultation